Sqlite: Unable to open database file

The webapp for my project at work was receiving the error “unable to open database file” from SQLite. The error was intermittent hence it was hard to diagnose. I was using a SQLite database on a webserver running xsp2 and mono (i.e. ASP.Net).  A few times I also received the error “System.IO.File: Too many files open” but this only happened once or twice.

I was running the webapp on openSUSE 11, after some dead ends I finally tried opening a large number of file descriptors from a simple console app. That’s how I discovered that by default openSUSE 11 only lets a process open ~1023 file descriptors. But xsp2 opens a large number of file descriptors when it’s serving web pages in fact this is why SQLite was giving the error “unable to open database file”. SQLite couldn’t allocated a new file descriptor for opening the database file since xsp2 had already used all of the available file descriptors. The fix is to add the following lines to /etc/security/limits.conf

* soft nofile 2048

* hard nofile 4096

To check the user file descriptor limits on unix run the command: ulimit -a

Advertisements